[APG Public List] a T C Land Claim

Richard A. Pence richardpence at pipeline.com
Fri Sep 18 18:06:54 MDT 2009

As several others have stated, T.C. stands for "Timber Culture." The Timber
Culture Act was an "d-on" to the Homestead Act and was passed in 1873. In
order to "prove up" on a timber culture, one had to plant a specified number
of acres in trees (Wickipedia - see article at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timber_Culture_Act - says one-fourth. Since a
timber culture, as was a homestead, for 160 acres, that would be 40 acres of
trees. My mother's paternal grandfather obtained both a homestead and a
timber culture in Brown County, South Dakota, in the 1880s. You can drive
through the plains ever today and see the little plots of trees, now quite
old and many dead. BTW, the farmers called these "tree claims."

Richard Pence