[APG Public List] Online petition to save the Library of Michigan

Amy Crow amy at amyjohnsoncrow.com
Tue Sep 8 15:50:28 MDT 2009

Please excuse me if this has already been posted here. I am behind in
catching up with my email while I was at the FGS conference in Little
Rock last week.

As you may already be aware, Michigan Governor Jennifer Granholm has
issued Executive Order 2009-36, abolishing the state's Department of
History, Arts, and Libraries. This will abolish the Library of
Michigan and disperse the collection.

The Library of Michigan has one of the most respected genealogy and
family history collections in the country. The Records Preservation
and Access Committee, sponsored by the Federation of Genealogical
Societies and the National Genealogical Society, has started an online
petition urging the state legislature to overturn the governor's
executive order. The Michigan Senate has already voted to overturn the
order; the Michigan House of Representatives must follow suit for it
to be overturned. If not, the executive order takes effect October 1,
2009.

The online petition can be found at http://www.PetitionOnline.com/RPAC2009/petition.html
  You do not need to make your email address public and you do not
need to live in Michigan to sign it.