[APG Public List] Need help recalling term

Tom Jones Tom at JonesResearchServices.com
Thu Sep 3 14:39:33 MDT 2009

Is /agnomen /the word you seek?  I don't find this definition in general 
dictionaries, but it does appear in genealogical reference works. ---- Tom

Catherine Desmarais wrote:
> I am drawing a blank on a word, and can't come up with enough of a 
> definition for Google to help me. I am hoping someone on this list can 
> fill in this "senior moment" for me. What is the term that refers to a 
> qualifier being placed after a man's name to distinguish him from 
> another man of the same name in a tax list (or other similar list)? 
> For example John Smith (James) and John Smith (George), where the 
> names in parentheses are their father's names. Another example would 
> be John Smith (miller) and John Smith (farmer). I used to know the 
> word for this! 
> Thank you in advance to anyone who can help unfreeze my brain!
> Cathi Desmarais
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> _______________________________________________
> APG Public Mailing List
> http://apgen.org/publications/publiclist/

More information about the APGPublicList mailing list