[APG Public List] [APG Members] Exciting New Dimension for DNAResearch

Stephen Danko stephen at stephendanko.com
Thu Oct 29 18:33:28 MDT 2009

As the administrator for two DNA surname projects, I've noticed that the most common
situation with online DNA databases is that no pedigree at all is connected with most DNA
results.

On the bright side, if the DNA matches, there's a clear genetic connection. No pedigree is
necessary to prove a genetic relationship. The DNA alone is sufficient for that purpose.
The difficulty comes with proving HOW people with matching DNA are related.

Still, Larry is correct. Genetic genealogists will want to verify pedigrees obtained from
others, but that's no different from the situation with traditional genealogical research.

Regards,
Stephen J. Danko, PLCGS
Administrator, Danko Surname Study
Administrator, Niedzialkowski Surname Study

Larry said:

One problem on some online genealogical DNA databases is that many unverified pedigrees were submitted, and that has to have an impact. The DNA hits would then take you to possibly an individual who in turn has wrongly identified common ancestors.

If a person has submitted their DNA but attached it to the the wrong individuals, how could that be identified and corrected.  I think you'd still have to then go and verify that person's ancestral research before drawing any conclusions?

Or am misinterpreting the risk here?

Larry