[APG Public List] [APG Members] Exciting New Dimension for DNA Research

JYoung6180 at aol.com JYoung6180 at aol.com
Thu Oct 29 17:56:51 MDT 2009

That is what is so exciting about the new Relative Finder. Before this, it
was hit or miss trying to locate others who had been tested and who were
willing  to share enough info to find any cousins--distant or close.

Now, the Relative Finder tool gives us all a list (for me there are 186
matches ranging from probable 3rd cousins down to distant cousins (probably
around 7th to 10th cousins). We still have to make the contacts and make  the
connections but at least we are being given a clue of WHO to contact.

I believe a few other companies are also doing autosomal and X testing but
as far as I know 23andme is the cheapest of the lot because it is partly
subsidized by the husband of one of the two co-founders of the company (a
co-founder of Google, Sergey Brin).

I don't know the algorithm they are using for the new tool but it appears
to be MUCH more accurate than any matching tool they used in the past. My
experience so far bears that out.

There is always Y search and mitosearch for finding matches of the
traditional DNA testing for genealogical purposes but most companies don't test
the exact same markers so it is often like comparing apples and oranges.

23andme has a partnership with AncestryDNA but I don't know yet if or how
those people tested with AncestryDNA are being included in the data being
compared by this new tool.

Joan

In a message dated 10/29/2009 7:40:59 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,