[APG Public List] (no subject)

D Kapp kappgen at consolidated.net
Thu Oct 29 08:07:47 MDT 2009

Dear Mag,

I have had limited use of Allegheny Co., Pa., ejectment suits, but a few
notes:

## An ejectment action is not the same as an eviction. An ejectment is
the removal of a person(s) from land to which they might be perceived as
having some sort of legal right. An eviction removes a tenant or some
person who obviously has no legal right to own the land.

## One cannot ascertain the grounds of an ejectment by reading the index
entry.

## In the absence of the actual legal records for the suit, searching
deed and estate records for the surnames involved (in Mifflin Twp., in
this case, and related areas) is definitely research that might provide
more enlightenment.

Hope this is somewhat helpful.

Debbie

###
My niece has found a record that shows an ancestor who was one of
several plaintiffs in an ejectment lawsuit, and we have questions:
1. are the plaintiffs living on land from which they are being ejected
as in evicted?
2. if that is correct, why are the plaintiffs suing the landowners, as
in, on what grounds if the plaintiffs are living on my land, can I be
sued for ejecting them?
3. are the three BEAM defendants the land owners?

We have spoken with the Office of The Prothonotary who has custody of
this record, and she told us the origianal case record no longer exists.

Any help understanding what has happened here is appreciated.

TIA

Mag

9 June 1815 Allegheny Co., PA, Prothonotary Office, City-County
Building, Pittsburgh, PA: Joseph POWELL and others were plaintiffs in
ejectment lawsuit # 123, Mifflin Twp., Term August 1815.

Ejectment #123 filed Allegheny County, PA 9 June 1815: Samuel BEAM;
Jacob BEAM; Jacob ROMACK and Susan his wife; Joseph POWELL and his wife;
John TWINDLER and Mary his wife; John WOLF and Esther his wife; and
Elizabeth MARTIN

VS

John BEAM; Amos BEAM; Elijah BEAM