[APG Public List] Understanding ejectment lawsuits

MFP courthouseresearcher at gmail.com
Wed Oct 28 21:30:34 MDT 2009

My niece has found a record that shows an ancestor who was one of several
plaintiffs in an ejectment lawsuit, and we have questions:
1. are the plaintiffs living on land from which they are being ejected as in
evicted?
2. if that is correct, why are the plaintiffs suing the landowners, as in,
on what grounds if the plaintiffs are living on my land, can I be sued for
ejecting them?
3. are the three BEAM defendants the land owners?

We have spoken with the Office of The Prothonotary who has custody of this
record, and she told us the origianal case record no longer exists.

Any help understanding what has happened here is appreciated.

TIA

Mag

9 June 1815 Allegheny Co., PA, Prothonotary Office, City-County Building,
Pittsburgh, PA: Joseph POWELL and others were plaintiffs in ejectment
lawsuit # 123, Mifflin Twp., Term August 1815.

Ejectment #123 filed Allegheny County, PA 9 June 1815: Samuel BEAM;  Jacob
BEAM; Jacob ROMACK and Susan his wife; Joseph POWELL and his wife; John
TWINDLER and Mary his wife; John WOLF and Esther his wife; and Elizabeth
MARTIN

VS

John BEAM; Amos BEAM; Elijah BEAM