[APG Public List] APG President's Message - October 2009

Kathy Hinckley hinckleyk at comcast.net
Wed Oct 28 10:40:14 MDT 2009

APG PRESIDENT'S MESSAGE - OCTOBER 2009

1. APG ELECTIONS FOR THE 2010-2011 TERM

As you know, APG elections are underway for Executive Committee and Board
vacancies for the 2010-2011 term. All APG members can vote conveniently
online at the APG web site at http://apgen.org/members/vote.html (login
required). Voting is confidential and only takes a few minutes. The election
ends on the 2nd of November, so if you have not done so already, please take
the time to review candidate biographies and participate in the election
process.

2. MAKING THE TRANSITION TO THE NEW APG MAILING LISTS

After a couple of months of operation, we are pleased with the activity on
both the APG Public List and the APG Members Only List. The two lists have
different functions:

The APG Public List is an unmoderated mailing list sponsored and archived by
APG. The list is used to discuss topics of interest to genealogical
professionals, individuals considering the profession of genealogy, family
historians, and others seeking professional networking and advice.
Discussion is open to members and non-members of APG. Sign up at
http://apgen.org/publications/publiclist/index.html.

The APG Members Only List is an unmoderated mailing list used to discuss
topics of interest to the members of the APG and is open to APG members
only. Subject matter includes genealogical and historical sources, research
methodology, business principles and practices, APG business, and more. Sign
up at http://apgen.org/members/memberslist/index.html.

We'd like to see the number of subscribers to both lists increase so that
the good discussion can benefit as many individuals as possible. Consider
signing up to one or both lists, or recommending the lists to your friends
and colleagues.

Subscribers to either list must agree to the APG Mailing List Code of
Conduct which you can view at
http://apgen.org/organization/policies/mailing_list_code.html.

3. PMC WEBCAST - CHECK IT OUT!

For several years APG has been interested in leveraging the excellent
content of our annual Professional Management Conference to benefit more
members. We want to expand our ability to educate our members and the
public. As a result of a trial partnership with FamilySearch, APG is making
available three presentations from the 2009 APG Professional Management
Conference, which took place on September 2 at the FGS Conference in Little
Rock, Arkansas.

Lectures by Heather Henderson, Mary Penner, and Elissa Scalise Powell, are
available, free of charge, to APG members as well as the general public as a
"trial balloon" to see how well this rich professional educational
opportunity is received. In the future, we will explore options for
pay-per-view, live streaming video, and other possibilities so that more of
our members and prospective members can benefit from the PMC when attending
the conference isn't possible.

Visit the PMC Webcast page at
http://www.apgen.org/publications/pmc_webcast.html. We are very interested
in your feedback regarding this experiment, so be sure to send any
impressions (positive or negative) to our Executive Director at
admin at apgen.org.

Have a good month,

Jake Gehring
APG President