[APG Public List] Need some help with Roman numerals

Nicole La Rue nikkisbc at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 26 20:23:42 MDT 2009

Hi all, I was wondering if anyone could help me figure out the date of a Bible. It was published by Mark and Kerr in Edinburgh and I'm pretty sure they were in business between 1790 and 1820 which fits in with a handwritten note inside the Bible. However, the person who gave me the details included in the Bible typed the date as MCDDXLCL and according to my math, that would make it 1400-ish rather than 1700-ish. So I'm just wondering, did I screw up the math in the conversion or is it possible that he just typed it wrong and meant to make MDCC...?

Thanks All,
Nicole LaRue

http://genealogist-in-training.blogspot.com/