[APG Public List] Advice on organization

Ann L. Wells annwells at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 21 13:47:27 MDT 2009

Several years ago I was asked to organize 40 years of research. The woman had a few files by surname and that is what I decided to continue. Because she would write on odd bits and pieces of paper, it was hard to decide what would go into what surname file. I finally decided to sort by the first name on the paper and later on made copies when necessary.

I originally gave an estimate of 6 months, but in the end it took 18 months. I went to her home twice a week for almost all of that time. Half way through the organization she asked that I do some research and put the family together.  In the end, there were 23 3-ring binders. Each notebook was labeled by surname and then in chronological order within, as much as possible. I made an index in each notebook and one master index that was something like 35 pages long.

Also in this project were over 1000 photos which were sorted by description - immediate family. ancestors, cemetery, homes, churches, friends and a miscellaneous files.

I was well paid, but what I learned really was priceless.

Good luck Denise!

Ann

Ann L. Wells
Wells Research Associates
Crystal Lake, IL

Member of APG,
International Society for British Genealogy
and Family History, Illinois State
Genealogical Society

http://wellsresearch.net