[APG Public List] Advice on organization

LBoswell laboswell at rogers.com
Wed Oct 21 12:21:00 MDT 2009

Wow. Sounds like you're going to be rolling up your sleeves!  I think this
is a bit different than the archiving projects talked about before (in some
ways).

I'd create a complete inventory of everything first, before I'd take any
other steps. Lists of what's there and where.  Just enough description to
make it easier to identify and locate the item again. Maybe using a
spreadsheet so you can later move items and create categories.

As you go about listing the inventory, you'll also be getting a fuller
understanding of how to proceed further based on what's there.  My
suggestion would be to not try to enter anything into Legacy as you go. I'd
say that will just slow the process down.  And save on a lot of errors too!

Once you know what's there, you can then work from the inventory list to
quickly create a filing system by using categories or some other format.
There are probably as many filing preferences as there are family historians
but there are also some standardized approaches that are time-tested.

Larry