[APG Public List] Citations from Ancestry for the Texas Marriage Collection, 1814-1909 and 1966-2002

hhsh at earthlink.net hhsh at earthlink.net
Mon Oct 19 18:47:23 MDT 2009

Beth --

I'm going to stick my neck out and say you have to cite what you've got, not
what you used to have, or what you think you might have. Can you be sure that
any given entry in the new consolidated database in fact comes from the
underlying source you think it does?

The deeper question is whether you want to be citing indexes in finished work
anyway. Indexes are derivative sources, which point to the original source. I
have never yet checked out one that was a perfect and complete reflection of
the original, so citing an index is, in ESM's inimitable metaphor, citing a
land mine that could explode your theory. Why not seek out and cite the
original source and defuse that pesky land mine? In the meantime, use the index
as a placeholder citation, but does it really matter whether you use one
derivative or another as that placeholder? (These are real questions, even if
they sound rhetorical -- I haven't used these records that much and may be
missing something.)

Harold