[APG Public List] Citations from Ancestry for the Texas Marriage Collection, 1814-1909 and 1966-2002

Craig Kilby persisto1 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 19 18:46:50 MDT 2009

I'd suggest looking at

http://www.werelate.org

as an alternative to ancestry.  It is a wiki site, and it is a bit
more demanding yet intelligent on sources, place names, uploaded
genealogies. It's many site adminstrators will merge common places
(jurisdictions) into one master source. There is a LOT more to it, but
I just throw that out as one of its features.

Caveat: as a wiki site, anyone can chime in and change it. And it is
not for everybody. Check your ego in at the door. You'll be surprised
at how much more better you could have written something (as in that
last sentence.) You can, however, submit articles that can NOT be
altered.

Still, I find a big step above and beyond what ancestry.com offers. I
have not played with it too much except to write a few articles on the
Northern Neck (and yes, how dare they? others have edited my work!)
Still, you can see who wrote what when and who changed what and when.
So far, I am impressed.

BUT...I have not used it for genealogy trees. I'd like to hear others'
comments.

Craig K