[APG Public List] Virginia Records

Craig Kilby persisto1 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 17 20:02:58 MDT 2009

I must have came lat to this party because I do not have the original
post or Deb's reply in my inbox, nor even the spam box.  That being
said:

Russell Dor wants 3 certificates for 3 different events: Birth,
marriage and death

He knows the date of birth and the date of death, but not the date of
marriage. He does not know where any of these events occured but
thinks it *might* be Russell or Tazewell County.

He further expected the Virginia Department of Health to look this up
for him (do his research) and was surprised when they returned his
check and asked that he provide the very information he was looking
for. If you can't tell them where it happened, how are they to know
where to look? They do not exist to do genealogical research or go on
fishing expedtiions. Something like these 3 requests could take weeks,
especially if you don't know where you are asking someone to look for.

I am tempted to start writing about when and where birth and death and
marriage records were kept, and where they are recorded. But this is
something Mr. Dor should do before sending letters to the Virginia
Department of Health. It's a very simple thing to do all from the
comfort of you home computer.  (HINT: LIBRARY OF VIRGINIA RESEARCH
NOTES)

CMK