[APG Public List] Virginia Records

Donna McClure dmc68 at nycap.rr.com
Sat Oct 17 18:29:01 MDT 2009

Bud,

In response to your plea, I would suggest trying to find some of those missing details by requesting a copy of his SS-5, Application for Social Security Number.  That should list place of birth as well as parents' names.  He is listed in the Social Security Death Index.   I'm not familiar with VA vital records, so can't help on that angle.

        I sent a check to the Commonwealth of Virginia Department of Health for a birth (4 Jul 1906), marriage and death (24 Nov 1974) record for John Melvin Barnett. I do not know this person's parents - this is what I'm trying to find out. I also do not know exactly what county these events occurred, probably Russell or Tazewell.

         So they sent my check back requesting the above information...which I am trying to find out. If I had it, I wouldn't have had to request the information.