[APG Public List] [APGPublicList] Land Entry Files

hhsh at earthlink.net hhsh at earthlink.net
Fri Oct 16 17:01:50 MDT 2009

I can vouch for both of Angela's statements. The cash entry she retrieved for
me a few months ago had a genealogical gold mine -- a father stating under oath
exactly what his son had done to justify his preemption claim. (And it was less
expensive.)

Harold

> Karen asked:
>
> "Do the Cash entry files contain much genealogical information? Is it worth the
> time and money to order the land entry file for a Cash Sale under the Act of
> 1820?"
>
> Karen:
> The cash entry files contain a receipt for money paid and a final certificate
> authorizing issuance of a patent. These do not contain much genealogical
> information.
>
> If the tract was claimed on the basis of preemption, the file may contain a
> preemption proof. If the tract was entered as a homestead and commuted to cash,
> then the file would include the homestead application. These files can contain
> more useful genealogical information.
>
> NARA charges $40 for a land entry file if you order it directly. The other
> option is to hire a researcher at NARA to pull these files and copy them for
> you. This option is usually less expensive.
>
> Angela McGhie
> APG member
> NARA researcher
> mcghiefamilyhistory at gmail.com

Harold Henderson
Research and Writing from Northwest Indiana
hhsh at earthlink.net
home office 219/324-2620
http://www.midwestroots.net
http://midwesternmicrohistory.blogspot.com