[APG Public List] Help with occupation on census - Hooray and Thanks!

Laura Prescott laura at lauraprescott.com
Sat Oct 10 07:03:33 MDT 2009

Many thanks to everyone who replied to my post. You learn something every
day. With Nantucket's recent history as a tourist destination I kept wanting
to turn Sugared Flag Root into Sugar Flag Resort. Of course, knowing it
couldn't be, at least in 1880. <g> I've never heard of this unique plant and
its medicinal properties. But it's in all of our vocabularies now.

Thank goodness for the census taker who went above and beyond with his
descriptions. Someone had written this man off as dying in the 1870s because
he disappeared from his own town's census. I'm thrilled to have brought him
back to life (he doesn't die until 1907, at age 86) by finding him and his
wife in Nantucket. Even though I can't research the life of the oldest Free
Mason in (possibly) the U.S., I can now learn more as I research the lives
of Benjamin Rogers and his wife Maria Nickerson Rogers. Hooray!

Laura

--
Laura G. Prescott
Brookline, NH