[APG Public List] The World of Publishing...

Craig Kilby persisto1 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 9 20:01:44 MDT 2009

I had no idea what a can of worms I had opened when I asked how it was
that ancestry.com could offer for its subscribers for free books that
were still under copyright and still offered for sale by Genealogical
Publishing Company.

A host of private emails poured forth from authors who had been sent a
nominal check to terminate their copyrights (when I say nominal, like
$25) and if they cashed it, good bye to author. How cheesy!

One exception that one respondant noted was that books by Elizabeth
Shown Mills were not part of this whole-sale slaughter. ESM must be
much more savvy about these things than others. Elizabeth, what is the
truth to all this, just how does this work and how were you able to
dodge such a bullet?

Craig Kilby