[APG Public List] Help with occupation on census

Laura Prescott laura at lauraprescott.com
Fri Oct 9 14:29:50 MDT 2009

I would be eternally grateful if anyone can help me decipher the occupation
for Benjamin Rogers on line 47 of the Nantucket, Massachusetts, 1880 census
(ED 492, p. 21). I am looking at the image on Ancestry at:
http://search.ancestry.com/iexec/?htx=View&r=an&dbid=6742&iid=MAT9_547-0024&
fn=Maria+L.&ln=Rogers&st=r&ssrc=&pid=16982441

Of special interest, check out line 18 of the same page. James Chase is
identified as a rigger and, at 96, the oldest inhabitant of the town and
oldest freemason in the state, if not in US. Some census takers can really
make your day. I rather wish I needed to research the Chase family after
reading that.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Best,
Laura