[APG Public List] How does Ancestry.com do this?

Michael Hait michael.hait at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 8 19:35:21 MDT 2009

I'm pretty sure that Ancestry has a deal with GPC for at least some of their books -- to my knowledge, Ancestry would pay GPC royalties for the rights to use it, which would get back to the author.  At least this is the way that other companies, like World Vital Records, do it.  I can't imagine that GPC would allow recent content to be republished online without charge.  But if the author is concerned, then I would suggest that he or she contact GPC directly.  A few fellow genealogists here in Maryland recently discovered some of their books on GoogleBooks, and requested from GPC that they be pulled, and GPC complied.

Michael