[APG Public List] Virginia taxation

Barbara Vines Little, CG bvlittle at earthlink.net
Wed Oct 7 13:01:05 MDT 2009

What time period and for what reason? For example, during the colonial
period you have quit rents, county and state taxes and the tax levied by
the vestry to cover costs of maintaining the churches and caring for the
poor. There were also militia services and upkeep of the roads which
could be considered a tax. In addition, during the 1700s tobacco lists
(generated in response to laws limiting the amount of tobacco that could
be grown) survive that list most individuals and the number of
tithables. There were taxes on imported goods. There is no single source
for any of these. A study of the laws found in Hening's _Statutes at
Large_ (13 volumes) would be a start.

Barbara Vines Little, CG
Dominion Research Services
PO Box 1273
Orange, VA 22960

540-832-3473
bvlittle at earthlink.net

CG, Certified Genealogist, is a service mark of the Board for Certification of Genealogists, used
under license by board-certified genealogists after periodic evaluation; the board name is
registered in the US Patent & Trademark Office.