[APG Public List] Boston University's Gen Research Certificate program

Elissa Scalise Powell, CG Elissa at PowellGenealogy.com
Wed Oct 7 08:49:03 MDT 2009

In answering questions that people asked me, I should point out that on BU's
website http://professional.bu.edu/cpe/Genealogy.asp the description of the
on-campus course is the same as the on-line course except that the
Professional Development component that is currently included in
"Foundations" will be the last week of the online course. This has to do
more with logistics of teaching on campus than with the flow of the
material. When I do the Foundations program the first two Saturdays of a
semester, it is time-effective for me to cover the Professional Development
topics on the second day after the hand-on workshop at NEHGS in their
manuscript collection.

Someone asked me about the anticipated weekly time commitment over the 14
weeks. The in-class time commitment is 7 hours each week plus homework. The
on-line class is self-paced and may be a bit quicker for you to cover the
material. However you may want to spend time interacting with your fellow
students and the instructor through on-line discussions. As with anything
else, you get out of it what you put into it. The courses are graded and
successful completion does depend on your assignments and participation.

Also members of NEHGS or NGS received a 10% discount for the course.
Certainly worth the price of membership!

-- Elissa

Elissa Scalise Powell, CG

www.PowellGenealogy.com