[APG Public List] First time conference going and speakers

Wanda Samek wanda at sameks.us
Tue Oct 6 20:34:36 MDT 2009

Thanks for the response, Elissa.

I was referring to an on-site orientation held perhaps the evening before or
first thing the opening day.  It wouldn't take long - just giving an
overview of the conference, what to expect, how the tracks are laid out, how
to pick and choose wisely, how the exhibit hall works, what additional
activities are being held, what is included (or not included) in the
registration fee, what to do about lunch - in general, how to get the most
out of the experience once they are there.

It would provide a forum whereby new people could meet each other and
provide recognizable faces.  There wouldn't be unhappy surprises about the
syllabus, etc.

It's just an idea that seems to work well for many national conferences.
Sometimes we go to so many of these things that we get to the point where we
feel like we're attending a big family reunion and forget what it was like
that first time.

Yes, I agree that the Ohio society does a good job of letting people know
what is available and what to expect (and does most other things well,
also).

Wanda Samek