[APG Public List] First time conference going and speakers

Elissa Scalise Powell, CG Elissa at PowellGenealogy.com
Tue Oct 6 20:16:00 MDT 2009

I interpret this to mean an orientation about conference-going. When NGS was
in Pittsburgh in 2003 I did a lecture I took on the road to the local little
societies to tell them what to expect, bring, and how to get the most for
their money. I don't know if NGS in Raleigh used my slides that I gave them
but that conference was very successful. It is information that is a little
too late once the conference has started. However, the Ohio Genealogical
Society has done a tour on the afternoon before their two-day conference
showing them where the exhibit hall was, etc. and gave them tips on how to
get the most from their time.

One thing I did notice was that the new conference goers had no idea what to
do with the syllabus if they didn't pay extra for the print copy. They were
sent a link ahead of time but many ignored that email and didn't know that
the material would be referenced in the lectures. Although given the
syllabus on CD, most did not have computers. I had a few people ask if there
were any more handouts in the back of the room (like they do at local
programs). Things are changing and the way we educate conference goers has
to change also.

Speakers need to be made aware of this problem as they prepare their
handouts. We can't always depend that the audience will have them in front
of them.

-- Elissa

Elissa Scalise Powell, CG

www.PowellGenealogy.com