[APG Public List] Participating in Evaluations

Suzanne Johnston suemj at verizon.net
Tue Oct 6 20:07:34 MDT 2009

Claire:

Perhaps all speakers could include an "evaluation sheet" with their
syllabus material when they send it to the conference program committee.
The committee could use this, adding points they would like to see
covered and have the form copied for use at the
conference. That way the committee could obtain the information they
need and the speaker could get feedback on what they feel is important.

If NGS or FGS do not want to share feedback with the speaker, their
questions could be at the bottom of the sheet. That portion could be
torn off and the
speaker's evaluation questions/answers could be sent to them.

I often don't have time after a session to evaluate a speaker. Of course
there are lectures that you know immediately are memorable and others
you know
you will forget by the end of the day. But sometimes what appears to be
an excellent lecture (read "entertaining") turns out to be of little
value in the real world. Perhaps a
follow-up evaluation could be done via e-mail or by a "sophisticated"
survey. Giving listeners a chance to think about what they learned might
lead to a more
meaningful evaluation.

Suzie