[APG Public List] Genealogical programs, evaluating lectures

Kathleen McLaughlin kandtmclaugh at gmail.com
Tue Oct 6 17:37:52 MDT 2009

I would like to see what kind of feed-back that lecturers would find
useful. I think that, sometimes, material provided by the confrence
committee misses the point by providing one uniform lecture evaluation
tool, sort-of a one size fits all. Perhaps someone can experiment a
bit, perhaps by asking the speakers to provide their own input on what
they, as individuals, would like to see on their own, perhaps
individual, evaluation form. Would they be interested in response to
the lecture, the AV materials, the content of the lecture, suggestions
for folow-up lecture topics, or something entirely different?

I often think the evaluation forms are too vague to provide any clue
as to what the conference committee or the speaker is seeking. It gets
a little too easy to just go down the list of questions and don't give
more than 30-45 sconds to a total of 10 or 12 questions. Filling out
such forms becomes ritual rather than anything of any depth.

And, as an occassional speaker (in the past, and in a none
genealogical field), I have generally been disappointed in the lack of
any significant, valuable, and genuine, evaluation from participants.

I really think that the whole "evaluation process" needs to be
evaluated, re-thought, and overhauled. I think there are a number of
us that would be interested in tackling this issue.