[APG Public List] Participating in Evaluations

hhsh at earthlink.net hhsh at earthlink.net
Tue Oct 6 07:50:24 MDT 2009

Barbara --

I try to fill them in whenever we have them, which as I recall is not always.
My feeling is that they are mainly useful for picking out the very best and the
very worst -- the far ends of the bell curve -- but not for the majority of
cases in between. I would worry if conference organizers used them to
distinguish, say, between folks with 61% approval and those with 59%, or even
49%. (And the truth is that sometimes I don't know why a given presentation
worked or didn't work for me -- so my reaction might have had nothing to do
with the speaker's style or substance!)

Harold

> We've all flogged this particular issue enough, I'm sure, but I do have one
> question for people on the list. This question is a result of my own reflection
> on my earlier postings about MGC, NERGC, and the BCG Ed Fund aggressively using
> evaluations. I realized that I didn't fill them in for the few speeches I did
> hear at the last NERGC.
>
> How many of us have been regularly filling-in these evaluation forms at
> national conferences?
>
> Barbara

Harold Henderson
Research and Writing from Northwest Indiana
hhsh at earthlink.net
home office 219/324-2620
http://www.midwestroots.net
http://midwesternmicrohistory.blogspot.com