[APG Public List] Ancestry census searches, other resources

Carolyn Earle Billingsley cebillingsley at earthlink.net
Mon Oct 5 23:25:59 MDT 2009

What you're looking for are census compendiums--published statistics for
every census year, produced by the US Bureau of Census. They usually
compile not only statistics from a particular census, but also compare
with previous ones. Go to WorldCat and search for US Census Compendium.

Here's one, just as an example. They contain about all the statistics
about counties and states and cities you would ever want to know (almost!).:

*Statistical view of U.S., embracing its territory, population -white,
free colored, and slave -moral and social condition, industry, property,
and revenue; detailed statistics of cities, towns and counties; being
compendium of 7th Census, to which are added results of every previous
census, beginning with 1790, in comparative tables, with explanatory and
illustrative notes, based upon schedules and other official sources of
information.* </oclc/70752451&referer=brief_results>
by J D B De Bow; United States. Bureau of the Census.;
Book : National government publication : Microfiche
Language: English
Publisher: Washington, D.C. : A.O.P. Nicholson, Public Printer, 1854.

I buy them when I can find them as they are so useful.

Regards, Carolyn