[APG Public List] Assigned township or locality names

Michael Hait michael.hait at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 5 09:36:39 MDT 2009

In my experience, Ancestry tries to assign township names for all of its censuses, even when they may only appear on the first page, or not at all.  Where they do not have a township name, in the later censuses they will use the enumeration district, but in earlier censuses, they may use the election district.  They call both simply "District" which leaves much to be desired in terms of specificity.

Personally, when citing Ancestry's images, I identify the locality exactly as it appears *on that page* and never identify the enumeration district as anything but an enumeration district, or an election district as anything but an election district.

I have also noticed that lately, Ancestry itself has been providing short descriptions for some districts, but they do not cite the sources of these descriptions.  This has just started since they instituted the new image viewer.  So far, I have only seen it in Baltimore city (which they erroneously identify as being part of Baltimore County - big problem if you try to look for the city records there - but that is another story entirely), but wonder if they have also done this with other urban areas or even rural areas.

Michael Hait
http://www.haitfamilyresearch.com
Author, The Family History Research Toolkit
Instructor, "African-American Genealogy", GenClass
African-American Genealogy Examiner