[APG Public List] Assigned township or locality names

Rondina Muncy rondina.muncy at gmail.com
Mon Oct 5 09:02:40 MDT 2009

Harold,

I believe the description may be an anomaly, however, I'm wondering if the
practice of assigning township names when none is specified on the return by
Ancestry is. From reading your article, I suspect it is more common than I
previously thought. The 1810 census page with the description can be found
at:

http://search.ancestry.com/iexec/?htx=view&r=0&dbid=7613&iid=4433425_00081&fn=Michael&ln=Welch&st=r&ssrc=&pid=454008

The image shows two pages. The description is on the lower portion (page
104, lower right corner). I went back to the image on HeritageQuest and ran
through several images for this county. I noted that they had an image
mislabeled also. I depend on the image to give me the information I need for
the location. If I don't find the information I need, I begin the hunt
backwards and forwards to find the location. If I still have problems I
access the NARA publication. My surprise may be due to the fact that all my
census images up until about January 2006 originally came from NARA
microfilm publications. I was in the habit of looking at the images and
relying solely on them for my information. I'm behind the curve in noticing
this.

Rondina

Rondina P. Muncy
Ancestral Analysis