[APG Public List] Assigned township or locality names

hhsh at earthlink.net hhsh at earthlink.net
Mon Oct 5 04:38:10 MDT 2009

Rondina --

Is that land description a little-noticed common fact, or a gift of that
enumerator (much like the 1850 US census returns for Edgar County, Illinois,
which give counties of birth)?

Not sure this is on point, but I wrote up a botched township assignment in the
Ancestry.com rendition of the 1865 Illinois state census for Kane County, in
the summer Illinois State Genealogical Society Quarterly. (Now also at
http://www.midwestroots.net/?page_id=729 thanks to the kind permission of the
editor.)

Harold

> Whilewe are discussing web site images, I would like to bring up something I
> caught this week. Michael John Neill writes a newsletter called *Casefile
> Clues.* This past week he discussed a census record from 1810. Ancestry.com
> clearly labels the record as being from a specific township. If I go over to
> the image on HeritageQuest, no such township is cited. *No Twp Listed* I
> clicked on the browse feature and the enumerator gave a description of the land
> on the first page (which I have never seen before). The land description itself
> did not match with the topography of the area, but this is beside the point.
> What I was concerned about was the assignment of a fictitious *township* name
> based on this description. I'm wondering if anyone else has taken note of such
> cases.
>
> Rondina________________________
> Rondina P. Muncy
> Ancestral Analysis
> 2960 Trail Lake Drive
> Grapevine, Texas 76051
> 817.481.5902
> rondina.muncy at gmail.com
> www.ancestralanalysis.com

Harold Henderson
Research and Writing from Northwest Indiana
hhsh at earthlink.net
home office 219/324-2620
http://www.midwestroots.net
http://midwesternmicrohistory.blogspot.com