[APG Public List] National Genealogical Meetings

Suzanne Johnston suemj at verizon.net
Mon Oct 5 04:30:48 MDT 2009

Carolyn:

You are correct. I didn't stop to think that speakers in the conferences
I had attended were not paid. They were there to present their topics
and have them critiqued, usually prior to publication. But they were
still interesting.

However, I do disagree with your thoughts on problem-solving lectures. I
would attend the type of lecture you describe and I think there are
others who would do the same. New ideas should be tried at national
conferences. One or two of this type of presentation could be done for
one or two years; if they all fall flat, they would be discontinued. How
can anyone predict attendance for this type of lecture without trying it
at least once? Don't we read the NSG Quarterly, or TAG, or TG, or NEHGR,
even when the article doesn't discuss our geographic area of interest or
our family?

Suzie