[APG Public List] 1840 Census - Citation Question

hhsh at earthlink.net hhsh at earthlink.net
Sun Oct 4 17:22:13 MDT 2009

Michael --

Thank you for *looking* at the censuses we were talking about! No wonder I
found the recommended method of citation confusing and thought others would.

Harold

> Sorry Rondina & Harold - here I will have to disagree with you.
>
> Entries in the 1830 & 1840 census stretch across the left and right sides. To
> cite the left side as say 215 (back) or 215 (verso), and the right side as 216
> (front), etc., would then split the single entry across two pages.
>
> But take this back to the very first stamped page. The right hand side under
> your system would be cited as page 1 (front), and the left side would be cited
> as... what? Page zero (back)? Not likely.
>
> The stamped numbers were specifically intended to cover the left and right hand
> sides of these pages, in the sense of folios, not the front and back of the
> sheet of paper. So why cite them otherwise?
>
> Michael

Harold Henderson
Research and Writing from Northwest Indiana
hhsh at earthlink.net
home office 219/324-2620
http://www.midwestroots.net
http://midwesternmicrohistory.blogspot.com