[APG Public List] 1840 Census - Citation Question

Michael Hait michael.hait at hotmail.com
Sun Oct 4 15:42:04 MDT 2009

Sorry Rondina & Harold - here I will have to disagree with you.

Entries in the 1830 & 1840 census stretch across the left and right sides.  To cite the left side as say 215 (back) or 215 (verso), and the right side as 216 (front), etc., would then split the single entry across two pages.

But take this back to the very first stamped page.  The right hand side under your system would be cited as page 1 (front), and the left side would be cited as... what?  Page zero (back)?  Not likely.

The stamped numbers were specifically intended to cover the left and right hand sides of these pages, in the sense of  folios, not the front and back of the sheet of paper.  So why cite them otherwise?

Michael