[APG Public List] 1840 Census - Citation Question

Rondina Muncy rondina.muncy at gmail.com
Sun Oct 4 14:03:41 MDT 2009

Harold,

I think the use of *back* and *front* communicates more easily, but I just
can't bring myself to use those terms. The only reason I don't use folio is
because the concept, although very simple, is not easily communicated (as
Arne's question indicates). If someone looks up *recto* or *verso* the
definitions are straight-forward.

I cite the page number as if I were looking at the microfilm myself. NOTE: I
also cite the source of the digital image. The same thing happens with, say,
GoogleBooks. The *page* number that is assigned is not the actual page
number in the book.  I never cite the assigned page number from the
provider. The assigned number may not be the same in the future, the actual
number stamped, printed or penned on the page remains the same. Besides,
Lord knows, my citations are long enough. (Please note that this rule does
not always apply. If I am looking at an image on the Texas State Library and
Archives web site that has been assigned a number (PDF, TIFF, JPEG) that
image number is connected to that image and must be included in the web
address for that image. Just to confuse matters.)

<What do y'all think?>

I think the Cowboys need to win this afternoon and you have endeared me to
you forever with the *y'all.*

Rondina

Rondina P. Muncy
Ancestral Analysis