[APG Public List] Who Are We, Really?

Jeanette Daniels jeanettedaniels8667 at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 3 07:42:53 MDT 2009

Elissa,

I sense that the conference planners and those who have long been involved in speaking at conferences do not want change.  You don't have to change.  You can keep things the way that they are but those that want more in depth genealogical information such as one would find in "continuing education" conferences for other professions, then those people should work together to create such topics that they believe would enhance the genealogical or other related skills of those involved with APG.  I was suggesting a way to do this that is inexpensive and  in a way that this may be done without causing worry to national conference planners.

It is obvious after reading all posts from yesterday on the APG public list, that a more in depth type of presentation is needed and wanted.  I just read Amy's suggestion regarding trends with immigrants after three generations.  It was fascinating and definitely something I would be interested in knowing more about.  We all have immigrant ancestors (including Roland there in Germany - my guess) someplace.  I know that some of my German ancestors immigrated to the Baden area from Austria.  So, this could be a fascinating, enlightening, topic for us all.

I was just trying to point out with a "yes we can" attitude (won't say which recent presidential campaign that this worked for) that instead of just talking about this, we can create what we want for genealogists with intermediate and advanced knowledge and research skills.

If you are happy with things the way that they are, you don't need to worry about that.  You can keep things the way you like them.  But those who expressed the need for something more should be allowed to explore that as well.  Although I suggested the Internet as an inexpensive way to do this, I am definitely open to an in-person professional conference elsewhere.  Logically, at a national conference would be ideal, but since national conference planners may not be willing to provide a track for those who are APG members wanting presentations geared at a more in depth research knowledge level in addition to the APG Professional Management already allowed, it is definitely a thought.

I believe that all members of APG and this public list should be allowed to express what their needs and wants are.  And, that we can all work together to create something that will benefit us all - meaning genealogists, however we use our skills in our businesses.

Thanks,

Jeanette