[APG Public List] Who Are We, Really?

Elissa Scalise Powell, CG Elissa at PowellGenealogy.com
Fri Oct 2 22:13:53 MDT 2009

Jeanette,

Thanks for your ideas. They deserve to be discussed, enhanced, and brain-stormed. However you need to do some research before making so many false assumptions about both people and organizations and what they will do, what they will not do, what they plan and all the other speculation that have peppered your great ideas in these threads.

National conferences (small letters meaning generic and not just The National Genealogical Society conference) don’t want anything but to provide education to all levels of genealogists, so I would not characterize them as wanting “to keep [conferences] at the basic elementary level.” This is well-demonstrated in the bell-shape of the curve of topic levels and approaches. We see less advanced topics because perhaps our numbers are on the lesser side of the bell. I think the topics match the numbers of the audience, for the most part. The proof there is in the size of the audience in each lecture. In a recent conference I counted about 10% of the total conference attendance in a simple session on cemeteries and tombstone symbols. I counted 5% of that same conference attendance in a couple of the advanced lectures.

Also I also would not assume APG is doing nothing and not willing to do anything without inquiring of its board first. All I can say is they *are* doing something to bring education to the masses via the Internet and it is pretty cool! It is just like being there, except you can’t interrupt the speaker and ask questions. <g> It is not my place to make any announcements but I certainly would stay tuned!

This discussion is a good one because the ideas keep coming… but making sure of that which you speak will progress the ideas and not derail or backtrack them.

-- Elissa in Pittsburgh

Elissa Scalise Powell, CG

www.PowellGenealogy.com

CG and Certified Genealogist are Service Marks of the Board for Certification of Genealogists, used under license by board certificants after periodic evaluations by the Board.