[APG Public List] National Genealogical Meetings

Wanda Samek wanda at sameks.us
Fri Oct 2 14:39:13 MDT 2009

Planning a national conference is a huge undertaking in any situation, but
the difficulty is compounded when there is no clear-cut definition of the
expertise of attendees being served.  Planning is relatively straightforward
when planning for a specific class of professional.  When trying to be all
things to all people, the result is doomed to be less than perfect.  In our
case, we are trying to serve every level of genealogical practitioner.

Perhaps our tracks should focus on levels of expertise rather than segments
of the profession (i.e., beginner, intermediate, advanced, professional,
educator, etc.) - or at least one track per year could be dedicated to a
level of expertise so attendees could plan their trips wisely.  Beginners
might get the most help from that arrangement; however, it is my opinion
that most people attending a national conference have spent some time and
effort in research and are perhaps further along in their skill development
than they may think.

I personally do not care for the open forum style mentioned earlier.  It
lends itself to abuse by particularly aggressive attendees who are
determined to either receive personalized help or justify a position.  Such
an offering would have to be conducted carefully with rules laid out in
advance.

Wanda Samek