[APG Public List] National Genealogical Meetings

jfonkert at aol.com jfonkert at aol.com
Fri Oct 2 13:47:14 MDT 2009

Jack and others:

Of course, you are correct -- discussion of location and use of records cannot, and should not, be completely divorced from discussions of methodology and problem-solving.? We're talking about the level of emphasis of each of these things in a lecture -- be it 45 minutes, an hour or 90 minutes.? Obviously,?no single lecture can teach every thing there is to know about analysis.? But, that doesn't mean we shouldn't use short case studies to illustrate important concepts.? I don't think anyone is arguing for one kind of lecture over another -- rather, we're talking about an appropriate mix for a national conference.

National conferences are an expensive undertaking both for the sponsoring organizations and the registrants, so a discussion of the program options seems a good one to have.? Programs for 2010 are pretty well set by now, so any influence this discussion might have for future conferences will have little impact before 2011 or later.? As I said before, we aren't going to all agree, which is to say conference planners have a difficult job.? Back to work here.

Jay Fonkert, CG

Saint Paul, MN