[APG Public List] National Genealogical Meetings

PLHGenealogy at gmail.com PLHGenealogy at gmail.com
Fri Oct 2 13:15:29 MDT 2009

I should have been more careful about how I worded my post. When I
say "easily found in books," I mean also other printed resources such as
magazines and Web sites (when you print off articles, they are "printed").
I'ma Prologue subscriber, so I do glean a lot from the likes of Maria
Melchiorri, Constance Potter, and Claire Prechtel-Kluskens in the articles
they've written. (just to give an example)

Some people do not take the time or have the time to read or they may learn
better by hearing lectures. I learn better from seeing with my eyes the
printed words. I can organize better in my mind the content of the
information. I also like being able to go back to re-read something. I
don't know how many times I've re-read something to find that certain
pieces of the information are more meaningful than they were before either
because my experience has changed or because it is suddenly pertinent to
specific research I'm currently involved with. I know lectures can be the
same way, and there are some lectures I've heard two and even three times.
I've heard Claire Bettag and Tom Jones both say things in the repeat
sessions (for me) that I didn't remember hearing the times before. However,
I think that the content conveyed in an hour-long lecture format is
necessarily limited.

The other term I used "easily found" was unfortunate. It does take a lot of
reading over a long period of time to find a lot of the resources and tips
and tricks that are out there somewhere waiting to be learned.

I was only stating my preference for having workshop sessions that
demonstrated use of skills and methodology rather than things I can learn
elsewhere "on my own time." That doesn't have to be anyone else's
preference and it's not intended to be an indictment of the conferences. I
think Elissa's point of the range of people attending conferences is well
taken. And some may be beginners in some area and more advanced in another.
The conferences allow flexibility that way. The institutes allow us to
choose tracks in areas in which we are weak and allow a more concentrated,
in-depth learning experience.

Yes, I have attended several workshops at the national level that have
information that I have learned from print media. However, even that can be
good for some situations and people. After all, if there is a body of
accepted knowledge, one would expect that it would be conveyed in written
form as well as spoken. Sometimes the amount of material in printed works
can seem overwhelming. A speaker presenting material in such a way that it
seems manageable and organized can help us to dive into the same and have
more confidence doing it. That's the most helpful way I can think of it.
It's like we're the person slogging through the overgrown jungle and the
speaker is the one who's sprouted wings and can give us the bird's-eye
view. Maybe it's my imagination, but it seems to me that I've seen articles
done by lecturers on topics they've spoken about.

There's a very nice article on the Congressional Serial set in the most
recent issue of Prologue. But I might not have taken such notice if I
hadn't been awakened to its value by those sessions in Course 4 at Samford.

In case my rambling thoughts have gotten in the way of the point I am
trying to make: I am *personally*--without trying to make sweeping
statements about what conferences *ought* to be doing-- expressing my
interest in the type of format that Suzanne presented.

Patti

Patti