[APG Public List] Who Are We, Really?

LBoswell laboswell at rogers.com
Fri Oct 2 11:23:07 MDT 2009

Last input on this (for the moment)

>From the BCG

Genealogy is the study of families in genetic and historical context. Within that framework, it is the study of the people who compose a family and the relationships among them. At the individual level, it is biography, because we must reconstruct each individual life in order to separate each person's identity from that of others bearing the same name. Beyond this, many researchers also find that genealogy is a study of communities because kinship networks have long been the threads that create the fabric of each community's social life, politics, and economy.

One place where I see an theoretical/academic scope in the sense that I've been trying to describe could in the area that begins with the words "Beyond this" in the quote above.

Larry (who now gets back to actual work...)