[APG Public List] Who Are We, Really?

LBoswell laboswell at rogers.com
Fri Oct 2 10:43:06 MDT 2009

I think you're right in a general sense, simply because there isn't a strong academic discipline established yet that could handle the type of conference that you describe, and the variations that seem to be underway are tied to furthering traditional genealogical pursuits as relates to methods, practice, kinship ties, and so on.

But that doesn't mean there isn't room for other types of conferences that attempt to create a wider scope for genealogy as an academic discipline.  It doesn't have to be one or the other. There's room for both self-educated and academically trained (and preferably with academic experience gained from complementary disciplines).  There's room for conferences that support the type of activities that current ones cover. One won't kill off the other. In my mind the balance is too much towards genealogy (or maybe more appropriately 'family history') as a method of establishing particular genealogical relationships at the level of the individual. That focus needs to be supported by other approaches.

 It's essential that we have both self-educated and academically trained individuals within this field.  There would still be areas of overlap between the two, but also areas that might be completely separate as to scope, but yet serve similar purposes.  Both would serve to further this field in their own way.

A lot of work has been done in the area of 'practice' and method when it comes to building connections between individuals, but is that all there is to family history?  Isn't there also a need for studies and theory building that looks  at wider issues that might have predictive capability or explain patterns that might have effects/impact on, but not be visible at,t visible at, the level of individuals or families?  I'd also argue that with improvements in availability and pricing of DNA testing, there's even an argument to be made that genealogy's reach extends back before the wide availability of written records.  Correlations with oral histories and lore. If we leave all such studies (more theoretical and taking a wider view) to other social sciences then what those studies give back to us as genealogists is more limited than if we were to do them ourselves. We have the ability to move from wider scope down to the level of the individual. It's that tighter focus, that would drive academic theory within genealogy in a way that is not at the heart of anthropological or historical views.

Yes I'd agree that the more theoretical end of things,  and related conferences (academic-oriented) need academically trained individuals (but not exclusively).  Clearly there aren't such individuals now (genealogy isn't an academic discipline independent of method/practice).  It has to start somewhere, and there are a lot of people in this field with backgrounds in other social sciences (or correspondingly self-educated) who have the skills already married to genealogical purposes.

short answer? It doesn't have to be one or the other when it comes to conferences or approaches.

Larry