[APG Public List] National Genealogical Meetings

Barbara Vines Little, CG bvlittle at earthlink.net
Fri Oct 2 10:27:28 MDT 2009

I'm curious. Just how many lectures at the national level cover material
easily found in a book (or even books)?

Many (perhaps even most) of these lecturers bring a perspective  to the
records  about  which they are speaking based upon  hundreds of hours of
work in the records. They know the history, the quirks, what's missing,
what the records can and cannot tell you, what access points are helpful
or whether there are any. With the possible exception of North Carolina,
I don't know of a state that has such a published resource. Nor do I
think that you will find a book(s) that will provide the in depth
knowledge of NARA military records of a Mechiori or a Scott (or Bettag
on federal land records). And, if you listen carefully, you will also
learn something about research techniques in the process.

Barbara Vines Little, CG
Dominion Research Services
PO Box 1273
Orange, VA 22960

540-832-3473
bvlittle at earthlink.net

CG, Certified Genealogist, is a service mark of the Board for Certification of Genealogists, used
under license by board-certified genealogists after periodic evaluation; the board name is
registered in the US Patent & Trademark Office.