[APG Public List] National Genealogical Meetings

Suzanne Johnston suemj at verizon.net
Fri Oct 2 10:15:30 MDT 2009

Small study groups are a good place to handle this type of debate, but
they are of necessity limited to small groups of individuals who are
able to attend the meetings on a regular
basis. Because they generally maintain the same members from meeting to
meeting (with small changes), the input will not vary as much as it
could at a national conference. Plus, the study groups actually study
before they question. Questions and answers immediately after a
presentation offer a totally different type of interaction, making the
questioner and the lecturer think "on their feet." Plus the
material/technique/resources should be "cutting edge."

I thoroughly agree that not all attendees at the national conferences
would be advanced enough to handle this type of questioning, although
they could benefit by listening to it. If a track is offered, perhaps we
should go back to ranking lectures by beginner, intermediate, advanced,
all levels, etc. Then an individual could decide if he/she is capable or
willing to handle this type of presentation. But I would be opposed to
offering it as another level of "paying extra" to be able to attend; it
should be an open track available for the conference fee. The NGS and
FGS conferences (as well as regional ones) should be for everyone, not
just those within one standard deviation from the mean. IMO

Suzie