[APG Public List] National Genealogical Meetings

jfonkert at aol.com jfonkert at aol.com
Fri Oct 2 08:20:48 MDT 2009

I've only been to a handful of national conferences, but I've perused the program of several others over the past 4-5 years.? From what I see on the programs, it would appear to me the conferences are of a quite different nature than academic or professional conferences it other fields.? The national genealogy conference programs do seem geared toward reporting research or new developments.? Rather, the programs seem to have the same core cluster of topics year after year (not a terrible thing, necessarily, as the conferences move around to different regional audiences).? The programs are heavy on instructional topics (record types, methodology, technology?-- again not inappropriate), but do not seem geared toward talks that report research or developments.? Personally, I would like to see more research-based talks that demonstrate problem-solving techniques.? I can read about census records or passenger records on my own, but I'd like to hear about how people solve interesting problems.