[APG Public List] copyright

P. McGregor pmcgr at allstream.net
Wed Nov 25 16:27:46 MST 2009

This is a very interesting and timely discussion since I am smack in the
middle of arranging to have a book published on a specific topic for which
there exist many historical postcards. I have over 500 in my own collection.
The manuscript has been submitted and I am waiting for feedback from the
publisher.

I will have to preface my comments by saying I am in Canada, so while the
new copyright laws have a lot of similarities there may be some differences
between countries.

My intention, along with reproducing many of the cards, was to include some
of the more interesting messages. No names and no addresses, just the year
and from what place and to what place the card was sent to add some
perspective. So, since I doubt any two postcard messages are the same and
since I hold the original, I don't think there is any way someone else could
claim infringement by my publishing the unique message on the back of a
card.

I would suggest that if the card is available on ebay and is of genealogical
interest to someone, rather than trying to copy the image (which often has
that annoying camera watermark in the lower right corner), just buy the card
if it is not overly expensive.

Comments?

Patty McGregor
Ottawa, Canada