[APG Public List] RE: Copyright question

Craig Kilby persisto at live.com
Wed Nov 25 15:27:08 MST 2009

I am always surprised at these copyright questions, and the mental contortions people go through debating the financial, legal and ethical problems.

Please consider, in the 0.000000000000000000000000000000000000001% chance anybody would sue someone over this, that person would have to have legal standing and prove a financial loss due to your using it in anyone you wanted.

If this was a priceless work of art, it would not be for sale on E-Bay. It would be a Sotheby's. And the question there would not be copyright, but provenance. While the person buying it may have it taken away, the person selling it would be the one having to explain it.

I rather doubt and ordinary post-card from 1909 is something the world is clamoring to get its hands on, unless it was sent to or from a very famous person with a signature.  Again, provenance. Not copyright.

And, by the way, Happy Thanksgiving to all!

Craig Kilby

P.S. "First, we kill all the lawyers" -- Shakespeare