[APG Public List] Copyright question

Jacqueline Wilson jawgen at comcast.net
Wed Nov 25 15:04:56 MST 2009

I am not a copyright lawyer either, but I have done a lot of reading
lately.  In fact I just wrote a paper on it for a class.  As a New
Media Studies student, copyright comes up a lot.   However, I am still
a long way from being an expert.    Fair use is slowly being defined
in the courts due to many suits filed, but most of the courts do not
seem to agree on just what is fair use.  I do know that fair use
includes uses for non-profit educational use and parody (of all things
LOL).

According to what I read this past week, the work must be a parody or
a real creative redesign, photos of an item, even if you change the
background, are not considered a substantive creative change or else
used for non-profit educational purposes.   Even the  for-profit
schools are having a problem with this in regards to their course
packs.  I just read that these schools were being sued by the
copyright holder for reproducing material under copyright in course
packs that students bought (instead of the complete book).  I guess
publishers were thinking they were losing out on sales to the student!

Another problem to consider with this is:  who actually owns the
copyright?  If the seller owns the copyright, then if and when you buy
it makes sure your purchase agreement covers transfer of copyright.
But if the copyright owner is deceased then who does own the it - the
heirs of the deceased.  However, if he is not the copyright owner,
then the way I understand it,  he has no right to sell it, as he is
not the owner.   Talk about confusion - no wonder not even the judges
and lawyers can't agree on what the law means!

There is a lot of material out there that was thought to be in the
public domain - at least until the Sonny Bono Act came along.  This
created what is called "orphan" works - where no one knows who the
owner is but the item is still technically protected and you need
permission to use the material.  This is one the the areas that Google
Books got into trouble with.  With the Bono Act, many works that were
set to go into the public domain this year or during the next 5 have
had the copyright extended for an additional 75 or 95 years (if it is
owned by a commercial enterprise, like Walt Disney and Mickey Mouse).

I see this as an opportunity for us genealogist and heir searchers:
finding homes for orphan works!  Maybe we can freelance for Google
Books to get these orphans released into the public domain or find the
actual owner and get them some royalties?  Anyone game? RAy?  Alvie?
I wonder if this means I need to get a private detective license.  I
will need to check the law for the State of Illinois.