[APG Public List] Conference Sessions, an example

Craig Kilby persisto at live.com
Tue Nov 10 10:34:53 MST 2009

I have stayed out of the recent discussion on APG conferences, and
other conferences with too many letters for my alphabet. The
discussion centered around the different levels of skill by a diverse
group of participants attending any of dozens of conferences, and how
to build the break-out sessions to accomodate such a diverse group.

Throughout this thread, I kept going back in my mind to the July
annual reunion of the Germanna Foundation (Virginia). About 300 people
come to this event every year, and all bring very different interests
and skill levels. Yours truly gave a presentation on doing court house
research. This was mainly a Q&A session which was well attended and
very informative for the 50 or so people who attended. I personally
like Q&A small group sessions like this one was. I did a similar
presentation the Virginia Forum in April about the Lancaster County
Estates 1835-1865 project for the Mary Ball Washington Museum &
Library. I learned far more from the questions asked than I presented.

But back to the Germanna reunion, and what keeps going through my mind.

The stand-out speaker was our own Barbara Vines-Little. I can't recall
ever hearing or seeing such a well-polished and informative
presentation on a genealogical question. I have ordered the DVD of her
talk because I don't think even after listening to it 15 times over I
would catch all of the nuances she covered in her research into a
really sticky problem.

What really struck me most is how she managed to present an enormous
amount of research into very arcane records, and made it all so
fascinating at the same time. It was something that everyone could
enjoy whether they were beginners, only had a passing interest in
history, or jaded professionals. I can't imagine how much time Barbara
spent preparing this talk and the corresponding power-point
presentation. And her delivery of the material was worthy of anything
on television. It was THAT good. (Yes, I shamelessly suggest you buy
the DVD.)

So, in conclusion, I think Barbara has proved that there is a way for
plenary sessions to be a very workable idea for large groups of
attendees.

Craig Kilby