[APG Public List] history of obituaries

Richard A. Pence richardpence at pipeline.com
Mon Nov 9 15:39:29 MST 2009

Jay, there is such a book. I haven't read it, but a number of years back I
exchanged several emails on the topic of the history of obituaries with the
author, Janice Hume, an assistant professor of journalism at Kansas State. I
think the title of the book is something like _The Obituary in American
Culture_. At the time I was trying to get a fix on when obituaries started
appearing in American newspapers. (I recall that the answer is "very
early.")

Richard Pence